0 rating avg. 0 out of 5 stars
This class B, early 1900s utopian commune straddles SH 138, 20 miles east of Palmdale, along the south edge of the Mojave Desert. Roofless rock ruins and a tall concrete block silo remain scattered over the site. Nearby are the ruins of two limekilns that supplied cement for use in construction of the buildings. See our LLANO DEL RIO page for additional details.
Llano Del Rio was started as a socialist project by Job Harriman in 1913. By 1914 there were about 500 residents in this utopian commune. By 1917, there were water supply problems and there was friction amongst the residents and by 1918, most people had left and Harriman lost Llano Del Rio to bankruptcy. Today ruins are still spread out just off State Route 138 east of Palmdale.
© 2013 goby technologies. all rights reserved.